Refinance & Save
Refinancing lets you change your home loan to suit your circumstances. Whether you are looking to consolidate debt; carry out renovations; gain access to equity for investment purposes or if you just want a better home loan deal.
Once you have been in your home loan for a year or two we recommend a regular home loan health check to assess whether your current home loan is still the most suitable option as lenders are often offering incentives to new customers that they do not pass on to their existing customers.
Before deciding if refinancing is the right option for you, you will need to carefully consider the reasons behind refinancing and the associated costs. Many people start to think about refinancing their mortgage when interest rates or their personal circumstances change. Refinancing your mortgage can be a good solution when you need to consolidate debt, lower your repayments, carry out renovations or access the equity in your property.
It is important that you are aware of the costs involved in refinancing your mortgage. You may be looking at refinancing into a loan with a better interest rate, but the costs associated with the refinance may not make the change so attractive.
How does refinancing work?
Refinancing does not have to be complicated and at we guarantee to take the stress out of the refinancing process – you do not even have to talk to your current lender, we will handle the whole process from start to finish on your behalf.
Even if you’ve only had your home loan for only a couple of years, it is possible that there could be a more suitable loan or interest rate out there for you. However, because refinancing may incur additional costs, it is an important decision and one that requires careful consideration of the options available and the financial implications. At we can help you decide whether your needs are being met by your current lender or whether you could benefit by switching to another lender or loan product.
If you want to assess your home loan refinance options, you should think about why it is you want to refinance, and what the costs (if any) will be to move your loan to another lender.
You may also like to ask yourself if your current home loan matches your needs for example, do you use all of your loan features, or are you missing some features you could really make use of?
When refinancing consider the savings now and in the future, also find out the costs associated and do the sums. It’s important to consider the long term benefits against the actual costs of home loan refinance.
Consider the questions below and if you answer yes to any of them, refinancing might be the right option for you, provided that you carefully assess the options and cost of refinancing.
If you are unsure whether refinancing is right for your current situation, refer to our refinancing checklist below. Alternatively, contact us at and we will show you how much you can potentially save by refinancing to a more suitable home loan.
Home Loan Checklist
Make sure you consider the following before you look to save money by refinancing:
- Do you think that consolidating your debts into your home loan could benefit you?
- Are you planning on doing any major home renovations this year?
- Are there other reasons that you might wish to top up your home loan (e.g. purchase a car, take a major holiday)?
- Are you dissatisfied with the service provided by your current lender?
- Have your circumstances changed since you took out your loan? For example have you retired, changed jobs, had a baby or have your children moved out.
- Is your goal to pay off your home loan sooner or reduce your payments?
- Are you considering buying an investment property?
- Do you want a cheaper rate? Are you are paying a high interest rate – for example, if you arranged a low-start, rising-rate loan from your homebuilder?
- Do you want to switch from a variable rate to a fixed rate, perhaps because you can want to reduce the risk of higher repayments?
Points to consider when refinancing
The main points that you need to consider before committing to a mortgage refinance are:
- Check with your current lender to establish what exit or deferred establishment fees you will be required to pay to payout the loan – ask for a detailed breakup of all costs and charges.
- What are the establishment fees on the new loan? – Look around for lenders who charge no or low establishment and ongoing fees.
- If you are refinancing your mortgage to a fixed rate loan or a honeymoon rate loan, make sure you are aware of what the repayments will be once the interest rate reverts.
- If you are refinancing to access the equity in your property, make sure that you know up front exactly how much you need and that there is enough equity available in your property to go ahead. You can address this by being familiar with the values of comparable properties in your area.
I was referred to Kathy Dundas of No Fuss Home Loans with the daunting prospect of refinancing my existing home loan and other debts into one simple monthly package that is actually saving me big $$$$. From first contact Kathy was so incredibly welcoming, professional, knowledgeable and thorough I immediately knew I was in the hands of someone I could trust.
Kathy introduced to me options and solutions that I not only never knew were available, but possible for me. I wish I had spoken to her sooner!!
Kathy made the whole process quick and seamless and even went out of her way to come to me around my working commitments. Kathy has inspired me on many levels to continue with my dream of investing further not only in the property market but possibly in other ventures with confidence and the sound knowledge that her advice, honestly and support as an advisor will get me there sooner than I ever thought !!
I highly recommend Kathy Dundas to anyone looking to unlock the dream of home ownership, refinancing and investment.
Thank you again Kathy and No Fuss Home Loans – it was exactly that!!Lisa Coutts
“Kathy has acted twice for us now and each time she bent over backwards to help us quickly prepare our loan paperwork , and was always available and friendly. It made a complicated process simple and stress free.”Nick & Natasha – Queens Park